Close Menu
  • Home
  • Naija-News
  • Sports
  • 9ja-Lyrics
  • Entertainment
  • Get In Touch
What's Hot

Govs’ reluctance to sign death warrants attributed to justice system complexity

July 16, 2025

Presidency plans special FEC to honour Buhari

July 16, 2025

Transfer: I want to leave Atalanta – Lookman decides on next club

July 16, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Naija News Live
  • Home
  • Naija-News
  • Sports
  • 9ja-Lyrics
  • Entertainment
  • Get In Touch
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Naija News Live
Home » Lagos govt begins demolition of Alaba International Market buildings
Sports

Lagos govt begins demolition of Alaba International Market buildings

9jaliveBy 9jaliveJune 16, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
lagos-govt-begins-demolition-of-alaba-international-market-buildings
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Lagos State Government on Friday began the process toward removal of distressed buildings in the Alaba International Market in Ojo Local Government of the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the enforcement team of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) and the Lagos State Task Force embarked on the joint exercise.

The team which went round to re-seal several buildings that had been marked with previous multiple quit seal notices by LASBCA, said the measure was to prevent disaster.

They advised occupants on the need to move out of the structurally defective buildings which they said had become too dangerous for habitation.

A NAN correspondent on the delegation observed that some of the buildings undergoing reconstruction were tilted.

Conducting journalists round, the enforcement director pointed out some storey buildings that were already sinking but being extended with additional floors.

The front row of shops of one of the sinking plazas was beautifully adorned with tiles and other materials while the back was tilted on marshy land.

Some of the traders who spoke with journalists alleged that they had made some payments toward obtaining building approvals before embarking on renovations.

Responding to the situation, the General Manager, Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Mr Gbolahan Oki, told journalists that the government was going to demolish it to save lives.

Oki said he usually panicked every time it rained because of the likelihood of any such buildings collapsing to cause mayhem.

He said the government valued the lives of residents which were more precious than the cost of any property.

According to him, the government was taking a proactive step and will demolish about 17 of the buildings which were not part of the 349 widely publicised for demolition.

Oki said the occupants had been served a series of notices since 2016 to carry out some necessary actions but they had been adamant and resorted to harassment of enforcement officials.

He added that the agency had to seek the help of the Lagos State Task Force because the occupants constantly used thugs to assault LASBCA officials whenever they embarked on enforcement.

The general manager said he had suddenly developed a phobia for rain because of the constant fear of defective buildings collapsing hence the proactive step to save lives.

“All those buildings are going to go down between now and Monday. LASBCA has given them enough notice.

“Everybody that lives in Lagos State, their lives are worth more than the cost of any building or the cost anybody is going to make on it .

“This is because when a building is going to come down, it is not going to give you a notice that I am coming down,” he said.

Oki ,however, said all the identified buildings were beyond redemption while listing attributes of distressed buildings to include those already tilting at very bad angles as well as those with different kinds of cracks.

He stated that the government had made the process of obtaining building approvals easy by establishing LASBCA district offices across all divisions.

He advised Lagos residents with valid land documents and building plan approvals to visit or write LASBCA offices for authorisation to commence construction.

Oki said this would ensure effective monitoring and supervision.

Entertainment lifestyle
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
9jalive

Related Posts

Head of Civil Service Walson-Jack commits to Dec 31 MDAs digitalisation deadline

July 16, 2025

My farm is no longer safe – ADC spokesman raises alarm over insecurity

July 16, 2025

Atiku driven by selfish, obsessive presidential ambition – APC Publicity Secretary Felix Morka

July 16, 2025
Recent Posts
  • Govs’ reluctance to sign death warrants attributed to justice system complexity
  • Presidency plans special FEC to honour Buhari
  • Transfer: I want to leave Atalanta – Lookman decides on next club
  • Adeleke begging to join APC  —  Omisore
  • Delta Central APC reaffirms commitment to Oborevwori as sole candidate for 2027
Our Picks
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss
Naija-News

Govs’ reluctance to sign death warrants attributed to justice system complexity

By 9jaliveJuly 16, 20250

The Niger State Commissioner for Justice and Attorney General, Alhaji Nasiru Mu’azu, has attributed the…

Presidency plans special FEC to honour Buhari

July 16, 2025

Transfer: I want to leave Atalanta – Lookman decides on next club

July 16, 2025

Adeleke begging to join APC  —  Omisore

July 16, 2025
About 9jaLive

Updating you with Latest News, Entertainment gist Straight outta Naira
We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: info@9jalive.com.ng
Contact: +234-8171894811

Our Picks
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Naija-News
  • Sports
  • 9ja-Lyrics
  • Entertainment
  • Get In Touch
© 2025 9jaLive Designed by TrimlinesTech.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.